CBD salves have gained popularity for their therapeutic properties, providing relief for various skin conditions and aches. By following this comprehensive recipe and guide, you'll be able to create your own high-quality, personalized CBD salve right in the comfort of your home. Be sure to read this through so you know all you need to know about making CBD salve.
What You'll Need for Your CBD Salve
- 1 cup of your preferred carrier oil (e.g., coconut, almond, or jojoba oil)
- 1 ounce of beeswax
- 1 gram of CBD isolate or 1,000 mg of CBD oil
- Essential oils of your choice (optional)
- Double boiler or heat-safe bowl and pot
- Measuring spoons
- Whisk or spoon for stirring
- Glass jar or container for storage
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Your Own CBD Salve
Step 1: Preparing Your Workspace
Before you begin, clean your workspace and gather all the necessary ingredients and equipment. Ensure proper ventilation in the area to prevent fumes from accumulating.
Step 2: Measuring and Mixing Ingredients
Measure out 1 cup of carrier oil and 1 ounce of beeswax. If using CBD oil, measure out the desired amount (e.g., 1,000 mg). If using CBD isolate, weigh out 1 gram.
Step 3: Melting the Beeswax
Set up a double boiler or place a heat-safe bowl over a pot of simmering water. Add the beeswax to the top portion of the double boiler or the bowl, and allow it to melt slowly over low heat. Stir occasionally to ensure even melting.
Step 4:Adding CBD and Essential Oils
Once the beeswax has melted, carefully add your carrier oil and CBD oil or isolate to the mixture. Stir continuously until the ingredients are thoroughly combined. If desired, add essential oils to enhance the scent and therapeutic benefits of your salve. We recommend starting with 10-20 drops and adjusting according to your preferences.
Step 5: Pouring and Cooling
Carefully pour the warm mixture into a glass jar or container. Allow it to cool at room temperature until it solidifies. This may take a few hours. Once the salve has set, secure the lid on the container and store it in a cool, dark place.
Tips for Customizing Your CBD Salve
Feel free to experiment with various essential oils, carrier oils, and CBD concentrations to create a salve tailored to your needs. For instance, lavender essential oil can provide additional relaxation benefits, while tea tree oil may help combat acne.
What Carrier Oil is Best?
When choosing a carrier oil for your CBD salve, it's essential to consider factors such as skin type, the oil's properties, and the desired consistency of the final product. First, determine your skin type, as different carrier oils cater to different needs. For dry skin, opt for oils like almond, olive, or avocado oil, which provide deep hydration and nourishment.
For oily or acne-prone skin, consider grapeseed, jojoba, or hemp seed oil, as these have lighter consistencies and won't clog pores. If you have sensitive skin, look for soothing oils like calendula or sunflower seed oil, which are gentle and unlikely to cause irritation. Additionally, it is a good thing to consider the oil's natural properties, such as its vitamin and mineral content, antioxidant levels, and potential therapeutic benefits.
Keep in mind that the choice of carrier oil can influence the final consistency of your CBD salve. Thicker oils will result in a denser salve, while thinner oils yield a lighter, more spreadable texture. By considering these factors and experimenting with various options, you can find the perfect carrier oil for your custom CBD salve recipe.
How to Source your Beeswax
Finding high-quality beeswax for your CBD salve is crucial for achieving the desired consistency and texture. There are several places where you can source beeswax:
- Local Farmers' Markets: Often, local beekeepers and farmers sell beeswax at farmers' markets. Purchasing beeswax from these sources supports your local economy and ensures you're getting a fresh, high-quality product.
- Health Food Stores: Many health food stores and natural grocery stores carry beeswax in various forms, such as blocks, pellets, or pastilles. These stores typically prioritize eco-friendly and sustainable products, making them a reliable source for beeswax.
- Craft Stores: Craft and hobby stores may also stock beeswax, particularly if they carry candle-making or soap-making supplies. Be sure to check the label to ensure it's pure, unbleached beeswax without any additives.
- Online Retailers: Websites like Amazon, Etsy, or specialized online beekeeping supply shops offer a wide range of beeswax options. When purchasing beeswax online, read product reviews and descriptions carefully to ensure you're getting a high-quality, natural product. Look for terms like "100% pure," "unbleached," or "cosmetic grade."
Regardless of where you purchase your beeswax, ensure it's a high-quality, natural product free of additives or chemicals. This will ensure your CBD salve is not only effective but also safe for your skin.
How to Use Your Homemade CBD Salve
To use your CBD salve, scoop out a small amount with clean fingers or a spatula, and gently massage it into the affected area. It may take some time for the salve to absorb into your skin and for the CBD to take effect, so be patient. Reapply as needed for continued relief.
With this recipe and guide, you now have the knowledge and skills to create your own soothing CBD salve.
By experimenting with different ingredients and techniques, you can craft a personalized, effective remedy tailored to your specific needs. So go ahead and enjoy the therapeutic benefits of your homemade CBD salve.